How do I roll a Savings Bond into my PA 529 account as a tax-deferred event?

If they meet all of the requirements above, you must do the following to roll your savings bond into your PA 529 account:

  1. Record the serial number, issue date, face value and total redemption proceeds (principal and earnings). You'll need this information for your IRS Form 8818.
  2. Cash your bond at any bank or financial institution.
  3. Make the payment to your PA 529 account and send it to the plan with a letter stating it is for a Savings Bond rollover. Include a statement or Form 1099-INT from the bank/institution to show the principal and earnings.

Related Topics

The Pennsylvania 529 College Savings Program sponsors two plans-the Guaranteed Savings Plan (GSP) and the Investment Plan (IP). The guarantee of the PA 529 Guaranteed Savings Plan is an obligation of the GSP Fund, not the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or any state agency. Before investing in either plan, please carefully read that plan's disclosure to learn more about that plan including investment objectives, risks, fees, and tax implications.